10 Tips for Getting You Vehicle Ready for Winter Storage
While it might seem like a daunting task, properly preparing your vehicles for winter storage will ensure they remain protected through the cold winter months and are ready to roll after the spring thaw.
At Malco Automotive, we offer products to maintain cars, motorcycles, and RVs. Whatever your vehicle preference, we have a product option to clean it and protect it, in or out of season.
Tips for car, motorcycle, or RV Storage
- Top off fluids and change the oil.
- Check the condition of windshield wipers and replace them as needed.
- Decontaminate paint surfaces by removing road film, tar, oil, environmental contaminants, and dead bugs with surface preparation products like A&L Cosmoline Remover and Bug-Off™ Insect Remover.
- Clean the wheels and tires to remove brake dust, grease, and iron deposits using a cleaner and degreaser or wheel and tire cleaner. For a quality cleaner and degreaser, we recommend Prizm Gold Citrus Degreaser. If you want a traditional wheel and tire cleaner, we recommend Fast Shot Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner.
- Wash the vehicle with a high-quality car wash to remove the remaining dirt and soil. We recommend our industry leading Prizm Car Wash if you prefer a standard car wash. If you want an all-in-one wash and protection, we recommend Ultra-Violet™ Premium Wash ‘N Wax.
- Buff out any paint defects or surface imperfections using a high-quality compound such as Tru-Grit® Heavy Duty Compound for heavy oxidation followed by Tru-Polish® to perfect the finish. If you prefer a one-step option, you can use Rejuvenator™ One-Step to remove moderate scratches and swirls.
- Add a layer of protection to the painted surface with Nano Care® Banana Crème Wax.
- Protect tire rubber by applying a tire dressing such as Blue Blazes® VOC Compliant All-Purpose Premium Dressing.
- If the vehicle has a convertible top, we recommend cleaning and degreasing convertible vinyl tops with Red Thunder™ and protecting the surface with Nano Care® Spray Wax. If you are storing a motorcycle with leather seats or saddlebags, we recommend cleaning the surface with Leather & Plastic Cleaner then conditioning it with Leather Conditioner.
- Clean and protect interior leather, plastic, and vinyl surfaces with Clean & Shine interior cleaner.