How to Apply EPIC® PRO Ceramic Coating
With car owners keeping their cars longer than ever before, that means they are looking for lasting vehicle protection that’s easy to maintain. Something that lasts longer than waxes and dramatically improves the depth of gloss. A product that will protect the clearcoat by repelling water, dirt, and other contaminants. What they need is a ceramic coating that’s easy to apply and produces excellent results.
Malco launched the EPIC® Ceramic Coating system in 2018 to deliver customers the ultimate vehicle finish. The EPIC Ceramic Coating System is getting an upgrade with the launch of EPIC® PRO Ceramic Coating. The newest addition to our EPIC family of products, this specially formulated coating provides three years or 36,000 miles of protection, a ceramic coating hardness up to 9H, and one of the industry’s highest gloss finishes. When professionally installed, the EPIC PRO Ceramic Coating System will bond with the vehicle’s clear coat to create a durable, hydrophobic surface. This coating will prevent dirt, water spots, and contaminants from adhering to paint.
The EPIC Ceramic Coating System includes everything needed to properly ceramic coat a vehicle, including EPIC PRO Ceramic Coating, EPIC® Prep Wash Concentrate, EPIC® Final Prep Wipe, and EPIC® CR2 Hydro Protect Ceramic Spray.
How to use: Proper vehicle preparation is critical to applying EPIC PRO Ceramic Coating.
- Start with the EPIC Ceramic Car Wash. Diluted 1-to-128, this car wash produces large quantities of hard-working suds designed to remove dirt, road film, and other common automotive soils quickly, easily, and thoroughly.
- Once washed, it’s a great idea to clay the vehicle and remove any leftover surface debris.
- Correct any surface imperfections with the EPIC® Paint Correction System. For proper installation of the ceramic coating, we recommend the EPIC Paint Correction System to refine the surface before it’s coated.
- Give the vehicle a final wipe with EPIC Ceramic Final Prep Wipe to ensure no residue is left behind and reduce static on the surface. Simply spray on and wipe clean with an ultra-soft edgeless microfiber. Malco recommends that you wipe the entire vehicle first to look for any imperfections that need to be touched up.
- Now you’re ready to apply the EPIC PRO Ceramic Coating. You’ll want to wrap the white suede cloth around the applicator to get started. Be sure to position the sponge side of the applicator so that it’s down on the panel and covered by the suede.
- Put four dots of the ceramic coating directly onto the suede cloth.
- Apply the EPIC Ceramic Coating in a cross-hatch pattern using even pressure. You’ll be able to see the product transfer onto the panel. We recommend working a section of the vehicle to completion and then moving on to a different part of the car. We also recommend applying the ceramic coating on 20-inch x 20-inch sections.
- Work the Ceramic Coating to completion. The coated area will rainbow or flash within 30-90 seconds of application. You also begin to feel a slight resistance and hear an occasional squeaking from the applicator, which is an indicator that you’ve worked the product onto the surface.
- To finish this section, wipe down the surface with a clean, fresh ultra-soft, edgeless microfiber to remove any remaining residue. You’ll be able to feel the difference on the surface of the panel where the ceramic starts and stops.
- Now you’re ready to move on to the next section. Simply repeat the application process on the entire vehicle. Continue working in 20-inch x 20-inch sections, using an overlapping technique on each section to ensure complete coverage. And then, use a clean ultra-soft microfiber to smooth and level the ceramic sections together. If the suede applicator or microfiber towel gets dirty, change to a clean one. The suede cloths are intended to be used once and then thrown away.
- Once the EPIC PRO Ceramic Coating is fully applied, it takes seven days to cure fully. But within 12 hours, the vehicle can be put back on the road, and after 24 hours, it can get wet.
Apply Malco EPIC CR2 Hydro Protect Ceramic Spray every six months to maintain the best ceramic protection and longevity. This product is simple to apply and helps maintain the protective properties and the gloss of the ceramic coating. Simply spray EPIC CR2 onto the vehicle and work it into the surface. Then wipe clean with an ultra-soft edgeless microfiber towel.
We know ceramic coating is not new, but in closing, we want to remind you of some critical points that will help you produce the best ceramic application possible:
First and foremost, a clean working environment and vehicle surface are critical. Dirt and contaminants can not only scratch the surface but get stuck in the ceramic coating. Once those contaminants are in the coating, the coating would have to be buffed off and the application process restarted. At Malco, we feel it’s critical to correct the surface before putting on a protective coating. For proper installation of our ceramic product, we do recommend using the EPIC Paint Correction System to refine the surface. During this installation, we used the EPIC® Medium-Duty Compound, followed by the EPIC® Finishing Polish to remove any scratch marks and swirls and to bring the luster up.
Next, when applying the ceramic coating, be sure to not over-saturate the suede cloth. It’s not harmful to the application, but it uses excess product and will slow the process. When it comes to overlapping different sections on the vehicle, do at least one pass of overlap to ensure complete coverage. Failure to overlap might leave gaps in the ceramic coating that you might not notice right away. Should you desire to apply a second layer, it must be done within 15 minutes to 1 hour of the initial application. So, if you’re doing the entire vehicle, do the hood twice and then move on to the next section, do it twice, and so forth. However, a second layer is not necessary.
And finally, we just want to stress the cure times. As the product cures, the surface will develop a “slick” feel. The vehicle shouldn’t be driven for at least 12 hours. It should be kept dry for the first 24 hours. And EPIC PRO Ceramic Coating is fully cured after seven days.
Don’t forget about using the EPIC CR2 Hydro Protect at least every six months. This will ensure the vehicle is protected and helps fulfill the ceramic coating’s three-year, 36,000-mile durability.